Instead of sharing another prom inspiration look, I thought I would share something even better! A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of being a part of a BHLDN shoot with the amazingly talented Melissa Lynn Hunt Photography. Melissa works a lot with high school seniors so she used about 9 different senior girls as models for this shoot. The theme was a fancy tea party. Unfortunately the day of the shoot it was pouring down rain outside so we had to improvise inside the gorgeous Separk Mansion in Gastonia, NC. It came out beautifully!
BHLDN primarily designs dresses for weddings. But any of these dresses these beautiful girls are wearing could easily be worn to prom! And they would be the belle of the ball, in my opinion!! I had so much fun doing natural, bronzed makeup and hair (gasp!) on a couple of these ladies! I hope these looks inspires some of you high school ladies out there for prom looks. If not for this year, then maybe next year!
I’ll be back later this week with another amazing senior shoot with Melissa! You won’t want to miss it!!
Oh how I love prom season! I love getting to know young girls and feeling like I’m in school again. Not to mention, these young ladies will let me do whatever look I think will look best for their features and their dress. I can’t believe it’s been 14 years since my last prom! My goodness, I feel old! I went to 3 of them and had a blast at all three. Each year I made sure to have a completely different look than the year prior. This week and next, I’ll be sharing a couple of inspiration looks that I’m loving this prom season! This first look is my absolute favorite! You can find this AMAZING sort-of “retro” dress here.
1. Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette $54: I think most girls are less likely to get this palette out of all of the Naked palettes due to the pink tones. But I’m here to tell you, this is by far the best out of all of them for EVERY skin tone and eye color! Brown/hazel eyes can pretty much do any color shadow and liner, and blue and green eyes look best with warmer tones. I would add pink shades to the warm category (again, this is just my opinion and preference!) so therefore this palette is perfection. It even has a few cooler shades that would look beautiful on brown eyes. To anyone reading this….. You NEED this palette!
2. Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer $44: I would give anything to have my teenage skin back! Well, my high school teenage skin! No fine lines at all! This tinted moisturizer is all you need for prom as far as foundation goes. It gives the skin a beautiful, natural glow. And if you were like me in my middle school days and have blemishes and acne, all you have to do is mix this with your full coverage foundation and you still get that glow!
3. Make Up For Ever PlexiGloss in Nude Pink $19: If you’re going to do a dramatic eye, you need to keep the lip color muted. That’s why I chose this nude gloss for this look. It will look great on any skin tone and with any eye look. And most young girls prefer gloss over lipstick. =)
4. Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer $30: This bronzer is so versatile. You can contour your cheekbones and nose with it or you can use it as a blush. The color is great for everyone because it has the perfect balance of red and yellow undertones. It’s also waterproof so you’ll be ready to sweat and dance the night away!!
I’ll be back next week with a new look! Have a great PROM weekend!!
I feel like a horrible person. I thought that I would for sure have plenty of time to blog since I stay at home with Vivian during the week. Boy, was I WRONG! It’s truly amazing how much time and attention infants need! Not to mention I went back to work when she was 7 weeks old. It’s definitely been a big struggle to get into a groove on the weekend getting Vivian ready early in the morning, dropping her off at Nana and Papa’s, picking her back up, and getting everything ready to do it all over again the next day. Peaches & Glitter blog is my ‘safe place’ so I like to be honest. It’s been very hard for me. With my husbands schedule, I’m basically like a single mom. So working on top of that has pushed me over the anxiety edge a few times. I give MAD props to single, full-time working mothers! I know this is just a phase and it’ll all work out.
For almost 2 weeks now I’ve started my workouts and new diet. I’m not following a specific diet, just eating healthy. I’m not the type of person who can stick to a strict diet. That’s when I cheat and give up. And giving up is not an option because I have about 20lbs to lose to get to my pre-pregnancy size and then ANOTHER 10lbs to get to where I feel best about myself. I invested in ‘Insanity Max 30′ DVD’s and have absolutely loved it!! Last week I lost 3 pounds! So it’s definitely working! It was hard when Vivian was about 5 weeks, I all of sudden had this horrible pain in my right hip. It got to the point where I could barely walk. I went to the chiropractor and found out that as my pelvis was shrinking back down after pregnancy it shrunk back crooked so one leg was higher than the other and I developed sciatica. I can’t tell you how painful it was. Carrying around Vivian definitely didn’t help it heal but after 3 long weeks of many chiropractor visits and massages (a major bonus!), I’m finally back to normal with very little pain.
Since babies change and grow so fast, I can only promise to blog maybe once or twice a week. I miss it so much! But like I said, its crazy how much time and attention babies need. And honestly, I don’t want to miss a milestone for anything! I love being this little girls mommy. From things I read and talking to other moms, she’s a dream baby! She’s so calm (most of the time!) and content. For my first post back in over a month I thought that I would share a short survey on Vivian! She turned 2 months old on April 17th. I can’t believe it’s been now 9 weeks already! I hope you enjoy learning a little bit about my pride and joy and some candid photos from the past 8 weeks! I’ll be back next week with a fun prom inspired blog post since it’s prom season!!!
How old: 9 weeks
Weight: 10 pounds 13 ounces. She’s in the 50th percentile for weight.
Height: She is now 23 1/2 inches long which is the 75th percentile. This surprised me because her mommy and daddy are SHORT!
Milestones: Smiling, cooing, discovering her hands and feet, reaching for toys, grabbing toys (this has only happened a handful of times), holding her head up during tummy time, and my favorite, sleeping through the night!!! When I was pregnant I read the book ‘On How To Become Babywise’ and have been following it since I brought her home from the hospital. I recommend it to anyone and everyone! If any new mommies have any questions or need advice, I happy to help! Sleep is VERY important to me! Hehe.
Eating: As you all know from this post I have suffered from clinical depression since I was young. I thought since I was okay during my pregnancy that I would be okay once we brought Vivian home. But postpartum hit me HARD. As much as I wanted to breastfeed, I knew my mental frame of mind was more important so I could take care of my daughter and be there 110%. So I went back on my medication and stopped breastfeeding when she was 2 weeks old. I’ve had her on Baby’s Only Organic formula ever since. Little miss Vivian is a spitter-upper! I have to always have a bib on her! Her doctor said it’s completely normal and that she should grow out of it around 6 months. I thought maybe it was the formula but no, she just spits up! I never thought I’d do so much laundry in my life!!
Sleeping: We put her down for bed at 7:30pm, wake her for a “dream feed” at 10:30pm, and she sleeps until we wake her in the morning at 7:30am! I worked long and hard to get her on a good schedule and get her sleeping through the night. A dream feed is a feeding where you basically feed them while they’re asleep. I tried not waking her too much but she never took a full bottle. So I finally started waking her enough to where she would get in a full feeding. I know she’ll have the ability to sleep 12 hours by 12 weeks old so what I’ve been doing is pushing her dream feed time up 10 minutes at a time every couple of days. That feeding is now at 10:10pm and she’s still sleeping until 7:30am! Once I get to about 8:30-9pm, and she’s sleeping until morning then I’ll drop it. My sweet girl has no clue the blessing she has given me for her ability to sleep well! Now naps on the other hand need a little bit of work! They were great when she was a few weeks old but around 7-8 weeks, she hasn’t napped well at all! Next week we’ll start getting into a better nap routine!
Favorite moment: Everyday there is a new favorite moment! I love my bedtime routine with her. We take her upstairs, keep the lights low, we give her a bath (she LOVES bath time!), give her a lotion massage, dress her in her pj’s, feed her in the comfy glider and read her a book. I swaddle her and say a prayer with her and shower her with kisses before putting her in her crib. It’s become my favorite time of the day.
Worst moment: This past Tuesday she had her 2 month checkup and had her first shots. She was a champ and just cried during the shots but fell right to sleep. But when we got home, she had a bit of a fever and wasn’t feeling well so needed mommy and daddy cuddles all day along with some baby Tylenol. Thank God the next day she was feeling much better!
Looking forward to: Everyday with her! It will be nice when she stops spitting up so much so she won’t have to wear a bib all day!
Newly found wisdom? The love I have for this tiny little girl is unreal…. <3
It makes me laugh out loud knowing that mine and my husbands last date night as just a family of two was spent at Waffle House and going to see ’50 Shades of Grey’!
It was Sunday morning, February 15th, and I had gotten up out of bed. I did my morning ritual (waddle my pregnant butt to the bathroom to pee). As I was walking back into the bedroom I noticed a little leak. So I ran back to the toilet and then the small gush happened! I went downstairs to my unexpected husband and laughed, “Um, my water just broke.” His response was classic: “What?! Are you serious?! Are you serious?!” I called my doctor to make sure it was okay to head to the hospital. She said to head on over! But first, I naturally did what any other makeup artist would do, I did my hair and makeup so I looked presentable when I finally got to meet my daughter (Yea, that didn’t happen but you’ll see why soon!).
We arrived at the hospital around 1pm. I was starting to have mild contractions about 5 minutes apart. They weren’t painful so I was feeling excited! We got checked in and was told after I was checked that my water had, in fact, broken. I was only 1 centimeter dilated so I was put on pitocin to get things moving along. Hours went by and the nurses had to keep elevating my pitocin drip because my cervix wasn’t dilating. Finally sometime between 8pm and 9pm that night the doctor came in and had a plan of action. She wanted to insert a Foley catheter to help my cervix dilate and take me off of the pitocin until 5am the next morning. I won’t go into much detail of the catheter but I will say that I would not wish that pain on my worst enemy. It was the worst thing I’ve ever felt in my life. Poor Matt had no clue what to do except hold my hand in horror! Once it was inserted, I was allowed to eat one last meal. Little did I know at the time that it would be well over another 24 hours before I would be eating again. I tried as best as I could to sleep until my 5am wakeup call to find out how much I had dilated. I found out I got up to 4 centimeters. Not great, but progress.
*I undoubtedly HATE this picture of me but I couldn’t help but laugh because I’m 32 years old and still sleep with Simba! Also, I was so swollen by this time because of all of the IV fluids being pumped into me.*
I decided to go ahead and get the epidural that morning around 11am. The contractions were still bearable but I was told by multiple mama’s to go ahead and get it before they got intense. When the anesthesiologist came in and had me lay in the fetal position on my side, I remember thinking it was a little strange because I thought I was suppose to lean over on the side of the bed. For the next few hours, I would have my cervix checked every 2 hours or so and I would slowly be dilating a centimeter here and there. My parents came by as well as my best friend Lauren and Vivian’s future bestie Chloe came by to visit. I thought it was bizarre because all moms that have had an epidural said that I would feel an immediate relief. I never did. I was still feeling my contractions. I let the nurses know and they told me I’d have to have a new one inserted. I wasn’t looking forward to it because I honestly thought the first one hurt quite a bit. When a different anesthesiologist came in and had me sit on the side of the bed, I was so relieved. That epidural was exactly how it should’ve been from the beginning! He must have thought I was nuts because all I could do was thank him over and over again!
Around 10pm Monday night, I was getting so discouraged and was completely worn out. I had been in labor for 36 hours by that point. My blood pressure was good and stable and so was Vivian’s heart rate. So my doctor checked me around 11pm and I was up to 9 centimeters and 80% effaced. She came back in around 1:45am-2am TUESDAY morning and checked me one final time. I hadn’t progressed any. She simply asked if I could still keep going or was I done. I told her I was done. I wanted a c-section. Within 30 minutes I was wheeled off into the operating room and given a heavier dose of the epidural to get me fully numb from the waist down.
All I could do was shake. I was so nervous to be cut open but so happy to finally deliver my sweet girl. Matt was then escorted into the room before “things got real”. He was my hero. He rubbed my head and just told me how much he loved me and how great I was doing. Finally, the doctor spoke up and told me that I would feel a lot of pressure and that they were taking her out. The pressure was no joke! At 2:47am Tuesday February 17th I heard the sweetest sound I’ve ever heard in my life… My baby girl let out a cry. Matt and I just cried together and laughed! I could barely see her because of how I was draped and where she was so I asked Matt to go be with her. After finally cleaning her up and getting her checked out Matt brought her over to me. She was the most beautiful and perfect little thing I’d ever laid eyes on. All 7lbs 1oz of her!
Vivi meeting Nana for the first time!
I love this picture of these two!
Meeting her new BFF Chloe! She was so gentle!
My mom always told me that I wouldn’t understand the love she has for me until I have my own child. And now I do. I really do!
I’m sorry I’ve been MIA the past week or so. As you can see, I’ve been a little busy! Meet Vivian Grace Lombardi. Born February 17th, 2015 at 2:47am. 7lbs 1oz and 19 and a half inches long. I am in pure heaven with our little girl. I promise to be back on the blog in the next week or so! Being a new mommy is no joke so we are just trying to settle in at home and once we get into a good groove, I’ll be sharing LOTS of pictures and her ever so long birth story!
Thank you to everyone for all of the sweet words and support since she was born. It means the world to Matt and I. And now, let me introduce my daughter, little Vivi!
I don’t normally get to spend actual Valentine’s Day with my husband because he’s already down in Daytona getting ready for the Daytona 500. But this year is different because we’re impatiently waiting for our daughter to arrive! The only thing I can do for myself these days is wash and style my hair and put my makeup on to make myself feel halfway decent. And even that’s a bit of a chore! But this Valentine’s Day, I plan to get the top half of my body ready for a low key date with the hubs!
Today I’m sharing with you my favorite Valentine’s Day beauty products that will work for everyone!! Even if you’re single and having a fun night out with your girlfriends, you’ll love these products to make you feel super girly!
1.Eyes: Always start with the eyes! This way, you can easily wipe away any shadow fall out with a makeup remover or you could even use your favorite face primer (This one is my favorite) to remove the fallout. That way you’re killing two birds with one stone!
2. Complexion: After finishing my eyes and cleaning up the shadow fallout and setting my skin with my face primer I start on my foundation.
* Foundation – I’m a sucker for a medium to full coverage foundation. And during the colder months I love Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation. It’s so creamy and moisturizing. Not to mention it stays put all day long!
* Setting Powder – Since it’s winter and I’m using a little heavier foundation I like to set my powder with a translucent powder. My all-time favorite is Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder. It settles into the skin as opposed to sitting on top of it like most loose powders.
3. Cheeks: Next step is cheeks!
* Contouring – I just bought this Too Faced Cocoa Contour Kit and am loving it so far! The two contouring colors are perfect for every skin color. I use Medium Cocoa to contour my cheeks and nose and use Dark Cocoa to bronze the top of my forehead and under my chin and neck. The Pop of Light highlighting powder is amazing because it’s so subtle but when the light hits it, it brings out your cheekbones like none other!
* Contouring Brush – If you want the best contour, INVEST in the Nars Ita Brush! Trust me, you won’t regret it!!
* Blush – My go-to pink blush has always been Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Dollface. It’s predominantly matte but has a bit of a satin finish to it once applied. This blush will last you forever because a little bit goes a long way.
4. Lips: Nothing says Valentine’s Day like a gorgeous bright pink lipstick!!
* Lip Liner – I’ll fill in my entire upper and bottom lips with MAC Lipliner in Candy Yum Yum. Filling them in completely will help keep your lipstick looking fresh for a hours!
* Lipstick – My BFF Lauren turned me onto this lipstick! And I LOVE using it on brides! It’s what matches the liner, MAC Candy Yum Yum. I love wearing it when I use more pinks and plums on my eyes. It ties it all together!
5. Set: After spending so much time getting ready, it’s so important to set your makeup. The absolute best product to use is Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray. Trust me, your makeup will NOT MOVE!!!
I hope everyone has a great Valentine’s Day! And I hope I’ve helped give you so ideas of changing up your go-to beauty look!
In exactly 10 days from today, my baby girl is due to arrive. As February 19th approaches, I get more and more terrified. Not because I’m about to push out a human being out of my vagina but because my life is about to drastically change forever. Ever since I can remember I’ve always felt like my main purpose in life is to be a mom. To have my own family is all I’ve ever wanted. But now that it’s almost here, I’m terrified. I’m 32 years old so why do I feel like this? Is this feeling normal? Do other first time moms get this anxiety? Shouldn’t I be in a constant state of excitement to meet my sweet girl?!
All in all, we are ready for Vivian to come home. Everything is in it’s place. My husband, God bless him, is so excited and calm. But here I am, a nervous wreck! On the outside I’m ready. But on the inside, am I?
* What if my breast milk doesn’t come in?
* What if my sweet girl isn’t a happy baby?
* What if she grows up to hate me?!
* Will I literally go crazy the first few weeks when I’m sleep deprived?!
* Will I ever have a good nights sleep again?!
* Will I ever be able to be selfish again? And if so, does that make me a bad person?!
* What if I don’t make my husband proud?
* What if I can’t do it all?
Little Vivi has been incredibly active in my belly the past couple of weeks and I’m mesmerized by it! Those are the times that fear and anxiety go away. I’m all of a sudden filled with a love I’ve never felt before. All for this little miracle that I’m about to meet in less than 2 weeks. Watching her stretch and dance in my belly makes me daydream about the wonderful times. The wonderment of who she’ll look like, the first smiles and giggles, the first steps, the first words, the family vacations, the snuggles, the dressing up, the daddy-daughter dates, and most importantly the love that is going to burst out of my heart every time I look at that perfect little girl my husband and I made.
So to answer my own question, am I ready? I don’t think one can ever be truly ready for such a change. But deep down I know I’ll survive and do the absolute best I can. And I know that the the very first time my daughter and I lock eyes, those selfish fears will go away…..
I’m so sorry that I’ve been MIA this week! I’ve had a rough, exhausting week. I’m still not 100% (and I don’t think I will be until Vivian arrives) but I wanted to write at the very least, one post this week. *sigh*
I celebrated with a super yummy mocktail!
What a great weekend I had this past week! I spent it with my husband of ONE year celebrating in Uptown Charlotte at Chima Brazilian Steakhouse. We also stayed the night at a hotel so it felt like we were away somewhere. Since moving to Charlotte back in 1986, that was my first time staying uptown! Isn’t that crazy?! Matt and I spent our anniversary (Super Bowl Sunday) decked out in our Patriots attire with our good friends. Matt was convinced I’d go into labor during the game but thank God, I didn’t! What an AWESOME ending! And I felt so proud because the team that my husband lives and breathes for won the Super Bowl for the 4th time on OUR wedding anniversary! It was the perfect ending to our day.
We busted out the top of our wedding cake and I must say, it was just as delicious as it was one year ago!
Week: 38 weeks!
Total weight gain: 50 POUNDS!! I swear a lot of it is water weight because I’m literally swollen everywhere now.
Maternity Clothes/Baby Clothes: Gosh no!! I have 2 more weeks or less so buying clothes is the last thing on my mind.
Stretch Marks: No new ones thank goodness.
Sleep: What’s that?! I’ve broken out all over my body in a pregnancy rash (PUPPP – Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy) so I’ve been miserable. I’ve been taking Benadryl the past couple of days and it’s helped with the itching but I’ve been so drowsy and sleepy that I sleep pretty much all day and I’m awake all night.
Miss Anything? I miss everything that was so easy pre-pregnancy. Being able to jump out of bed, off the couch, or simply getting out of the car. I miss the ability to cross my legs, smile super big (my face is so swollen and puffy), and be able to sit comfortably for longer than 5 minutes at a time. And most of all I miss being able to hold “it” if I have to pee!
Movement: All. The. Time. But I can’t complain. I love to watch my belly and try to picture what position she’s in and which part of her body I’m seeing. Sometimes she’ll stretch really big and it gets uncomfortable so what I’ll do is lean over and “ssshh” to her until she stops. Ya’ll, it works!!!
Food Cravings: I haven’t really “craved” anything the past couple of weeks. Since Vivian is at full capacity, I can eat only a little bit at a time.
Gender: I think you all know by now!
Labor Signs: I still have Braxton Hicks on and off. But they aren’t painful so my doctor told me not to worry about them. At my checkup this past Tuesday she said that my cervix has thinned out a lot and she could feel her head! But I’m still not dilated so I’m not expecting baby girl to come this week. =(
Symptoms: Swelling all over and acid reflux.
Mood/Hormonal “Episodes”: I literally almost cried when the Patriots intercepted the ball at the end of the game on Sunday! But other than that, not really.
One year. ONE year! I’ve been with Matt for 8 years now but this year has been the sweetest of them all. February 1, 2015 we’ll be spending our one year anniversary cheering on the Patriots in the Super Bowl! Honestly, I can’t think of anything else I’d rather be doing on Sunday. It’s US. It’s what we do! People may not understand it, and that’s okay. We’re unique. We’re US.
To my husband, you’re the most wonderful human being I know. You’re my best friend, my love, my life, my everything. I love you more today than the day I married you. I can’t wait to spend this next year watching you become a daddy. Our daughter is the luckiest little girl in the world to have you as her father. I love you! Now onto the important stuff…… GO PATS!!!!
*I thought I’d share a little outfit of choice that I’d be wearing if I didn’t have our daughter cooking in my belly! I hope everyone has a GREAT Super Bowl Sunday! Ours will be one for the books!
I’d say it’s safe to say that baby, it’s cold outside! During the colder months, it’s smart to switch up your skincare routine as your skin tends to dry out. Here are my top 5 products for the cold weather!
1. First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser $20 – I’ve been using this cleanser for a couple of months now and I love it! It’s a gentle cream cleanser that removes all surface oils, makeup, and dirt. I love the creamy consistency for these colder months because it doesn’t leave my face feeling parched after I cleanse. This is a good year-round cleanser but I included it in this list because it’s especially great for the winter!
2. Aveda Green Science Firming Eye Creme $47 – I’ve been obsessed with this product since my days in esthetics school at the Aveda Institute in St. Petersburg, FL. In my opinion, it’s probably the best eye creme on the market. This eye creme is infused with organic argan oil, ladies thistle, and cactus formula to help smooth fine lines. It also has caffeine which is the best ingredient for correcting dark circles!
3. Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask $25 – This moisturizer was my savior last year when I started on Epiduo for my adult acne and my skin was incredibly dry and flaky from the medication and cold weather. This intense moisture replacement mask with Avocado and Apricot Kernel Oil deeply and instantly quenches compromised moisture reserves and builds a reservoir for tomorrow. Japanese Seaweed repairs skin’s barrier to prevent future dehydration and signs of premature aging. Not to mention, the price point is nice!
4. Aveda Hand Relief $24 – Hands down (pun intended!) the best moisturizer for your hands! The past couple of weeks I’ve slowly broken out in patches of eczema. I can’t tell if it’s pregnancy hormones or the cold weather. Or it could be a combination of the two! But Hand Relief has been the only thing that has calmed the delicate skin on the back of my hands all the way up my arms. The fact that it smells heavenly makes it that much more luxurious! Yes y’all, I use the words heavenly and luxurious in my everyday vocabulary!
5. Laura Mercier illuminating Broad Spectrum Tinted Moisturizer $43 – I love to wear this tinted moisturizer when my skin is dry because it gives it a luminous glow so it covers those flaky, dry patches. It’s also beautiful to wear without a setting powder. Just make sure you apply a primer on beforehand so it stays put. The best thing about wearing a tinted moisturizer in the winter is that it serves many purposes. Coverage, moisture, and luminosity!